Wednesday, May 6, 2020

My Favorite Fable

I do not believe in all my years I have ever been asked to name my favorite fable. But if that day ever arrives, then I am ready. More than ready. It is the one about the big race between the tortoise and the hare. In the chronology of Aesop's Fables, it is listed as number 226 in the Perry Index, an ordering system used to chronicle the many stories devised by Aesop during times of ancient Greece. (Now deceased, Perry was a professor of the classics at the University of Illinois.) "The Tortoise and the Hare" is the story of unequal critters in the category of speed. After getting fed up with the arrogance of the hare, the tortoise challenges him to a race. Confident of an easy win, the hare accepts the challenge. He, of course, ends up losing the race to the slow but steady moving tortoise.

I have come to embrace this as my favorite fable because the lesson from it can be applied to many aspects of life. For me, one of those areas is public relations. These days, successful PR has often come to speak to how big of a splash or impression one can make on a potential group of supporters. This is depicted in ongoing efforts by public relations practitioners on behalf of their clients - often politicians - on how well they can dominate or win the day's news cycle. It is one key way, according to many, used to measure the success of the communication professional's efforts and, ultimately, the standing of their client.

Focusing on each day represents what I call a "hare mentality." By making a splash or doing something perceived to be bold each day one can retain the attention and support of those they are seeking to reach and impress. While I understand the logic of this, my preference is what I call - are you ready? - the "tortoise mentality." At its most effective, public relations is about establishing and maintaining positive ties with others. Strong relationships are long lasting and designed to endure ups and downs and unexpected turns. They are long distant runs as opposed to sprints. Yes, hares are attention-getting, but tortoises are durable and steady and, as they apply to communication, the kind of player that works every day to keep their ties with others strong.

No comments: