Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Benefit of Experience

Not too long ago I talked with a group of Air Force officers involved with public affairs work on the challenges of risk and crisis communication. The presentation went well as much because of their input and willingness to engage themselves in the topic than anything I had to share with them. Given their years in the military, they all had stories to tell, information to share and lessons to impart. As they talked I could not help but accept the reality that while I may be the one sitting at the table carrying the title of "teacher," it was they who truly deserved that label. At the conclusion of the two hour session, I walked away feeling as if I gained more from that encounter than did they.

In all fairness to me for a moment, I do not wish to suggest that I had nothing to share or did not provide them with useful information I feel I did. At the same time, given their collective experience of serving overseas, living in combat situations, standing tall in potentially explosive encounters, providing emotional support to the families and friends of fallen comrades, and being responsible for the handling of hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars of equipment, what I brought to the table could not match their impressive backgrounds and histories.

This entry, then, is a tip of the hat to those with experience. To my good fortunate, these men and women with whom I spent several hours, had plenty experience to spare and share. And if that was not enough, they also shared some of their wisdom in ways that gave life and added meaning to the theories and research I brought with me. Unlike all the times in my life I have purchased a lottery ticket, in this situation I came out a definite winner. Experience does matter. Perhaps its greatest benefit is that it propels knowledge that comes primarily from book-learning to a greater height. Those Air Force professionals had a winning combo of tools when it comes to communication: knowledge and experience.

No comments: