Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Communicating With Strangers

I have been teaching public relations on a part-time basis now for over ten years. It's fun, always a challenge, and it gives me a chance to talk about a topic in which I believe very strongly. Nevertheless, the first day or two of class is always a special source of anxiety. This is because making a connection with a room full of strangers is never easy. I walk into the classroom and the focus of everyone is on me simply because I am the teacher. What exactly do I say? How should I behave? I am still not sure. After all these years, one would think I would have by now come up with a sure-fire opening line guaranteed to get the class and semester off to a rousing start. Alas, I have not.

For me, the awkwardness of the getting-to-know-you dance of strangers who meet is enhanced when the people I do not know out number me by 30 or 40 to one. Still, the show must go on. As the teacher and initial sender of any messages, I recognize the responsibility is on my shoulders to take the lead. Preparation is the key. This, as much as anything, gets me through most any moments of this kind. It may not eliminate my nervousness, but it does help me get through that initial interaction without losing-face. Consequently, I go into each class knowing the topics I wish to cover and having a good sense of the kinds of questions I might be asked. I have little doubt the same can said of most every teacher irregardless of the topic of their class. The power that comes from the knowledge of what teachers want to say helps neutralize moments of awkwardness with their students.

This communication truism goes beyond interactions between teachers and students. It applies to all of us who mingle with others - strangers and people we know. Be prepared. In fact, effective communication comes primarily from two sources: being prepared and maintaining a respectful pool of knowledge from which to draw should unexpected questions, comments, actions or topics be raised. Plus, a good sense of the audience with whom you are addressing or who you are about to address is a major help. This combined knowledge can help you shape your message in a way that is most receptive to the people with whom you are speaking. I consider myself to be more of an introvert in both my personal and professional worlds. The common denominator that helps me navigate each world is preparation.

No comments: