Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Random Thoughts About Appearing on Television

Lots of people appear on television every day. Even though many of them may make it seem as easy as drinking an ice tea in the privacy of their living room when no one is around, don't kid yourself. It is a big deal. A microphone is being held in front of you. A reporter is asking you direct questions. And a minimum of thousands of people are watching you strive to speak in a coherent, succinct manner that reflects properly on both you and whoever or whatever you might be representing. Any mistakes you make - improper grammar, incorrect information or even innocent flubs - are magnified in significance because you are definitely not alone and you are on camera. Your mistakes can be played and replayed and in all likelihood will be, particularly if your misstatements are grave enough. This is particularly true in these times of You Tube and the Internet. As we know, people being people, there are few things people enjoy watching more than someone who does or say something really dumb on camera.

Over the years I have had numerous occasion to appear on television in various interview settings. Fortunately I have never said or done anything that was so inappropriate or wrong that it came back to haunt me or the entities I represented. One key reason for this is the respect I give television reporters. Whether they are young or old, experienced or not, I appreciate what they do and the value they bring to our society. The great majority of reporters with whom I have worked have been extremely kind and professional. They are there to collect information and then incorporate your responses into their story. Often times they interview more than one person for any given story, so your part represents only a piece of this journalistic pie. But exactly how big your piece is depends on what others say and how well you do.

I go into each television interview knowing what it is I will be expected to talk about. This gives me a valuable opportunity to prepare what it is I want to say. My own rule-of-thumb is to develop two or three key message points and then do my best to stick to them throughout the interview. Even if I am asked a question that takes me off message, I try to incorporate at least one of my key message points into my response in a way that does not seem forced or contrived. While I want to answer the reporter's questions I also want to speak to the men and women who are watching from their homes or offices. After all, contrary to what it may seem, television interviews are not just about the reporter and, in this case, me. They are also about me and the people are who are watching and listening. One must never lose sight of their public if they are going to communicate effectively.

No comments: