Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Interviewers

In my current job and over the years as a student, I have been involved in a multitude of interviews as both the interviewee and interviewer. Personally, I much prefer the role of interviewer. Perhaps this speaks more to my own personality, but I am more comfortable listening to others talk than being the one who others listen to. I have particular admiration for those individuals who are articulate and are able to regale those around them with their views, memories and story-telling ability. It does not even matter whether I agree with what they are saying. I tip my hat to all persons with strong verbal skills, particularly in the context of interview situations.

Having said that, I confess to having a love-hate relationship with interviews. The love-part is easy: listening to people tell their story - no matter what it might be. Rarely are people more animated than when they are talking about something that has meaning to them. It is a time when they shine because they are giving a glimpse of a passion that both drives and defines them. The hate-part pertains to the challenge faced by the interviewer to make the interviewee feel safe and comfortable to share their personal thoughts, thus revealing certain aspects of themselves. Being able to do that is no easy task.

A good interviewer requires one who recognizes the benefit of thorough research. This person must also possess a wide range of knowledge to draw from in order to ask provocative and stimulating questions of the interviewee. The interviewer must also be willing and able to inject themselves into the world of their subject, thus familiarizing themselves with that person's perspectives. Above all, the interviewer must be a good listener and be able to easily set aside their own ego in order to better showcase their subject. These kind of skills lend themselves to effective public relations, particularly when it comes to the promotion of others.

No comments: