Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Butterfly Larvae

There are many challenges that come with getting to know a different culture. And so many of them revolve the fundamental or basic aspects that influence how one interacts with others. For instance, how do people prefer being addressed? Are they comfortable with informality such as calling each other by their first names or is their preference to address others by title, such as "doctor," "professor," "mister" or "miss?" When greeting another, are bows preferred over handshakes? And if handshakes are acceptable, should they be firm or somewhat soft? And what about eye contact? Is that welcomed or viewed as a threat?

Food, of course, is a challenge all by itself. Though I have been here in Songdo, South Korea, for nearly two months, I am still getting used to that. A few weeks ago I was offered ice cream with corn in it. As I like both, I accepted it. After all, how bad could it be? Looking back, now that I have had this treat, I can say I am glad I had the experience but it is not one I wish to repeat. And then there the recent challenge of eating butterfly larvae. For me, that was one bridge too far. I declined and only hope doing so did not create any kind of international incident. Blame it on my American taste buds, but I prefer french fries or potato chips with my burger, thank you very much.

Communication, of course, is a key to successful cross cultural interaction. As one who is definitely an outsider here in South Korea, more and more I am finding how important it is to be open about my lack of familiarity with this culture that is definitely different from my own. Fortunately, every Korean I have met with whom I have interacted has been very kind, gracious and, above all, patient. Their attitude reinforces the notion that when it comes to folks from different cultures coming together, it is vital that the "greater good" of communicating successfully be the focus. Ego and bravado should definitely take a back seat.   

No comments: