Friday, March 18, 2016

Being the Boss

I think everyone likes being in charge of something. Maybe it's a small thing like deciding what movie to see over the coming weekend. Perhaps it is something complex like the office Christmas party. Or it could be supervising an entire staff of professionals. These examples and most any I could name that involve being in-charge come with a bag full of challenges, any number of which could easily undermine any aurora of authority one might have or wish to have. While being the boss may have its perks, the fact is it is a non-stop "tricky wicket" that requires focus, patience, vision, and  a recognition that bosses are as expendable as any one.

Despite that, I was not surprised in my developing effective business skills class recently when I asked students what their dream job is. The great majority of the class said they wanted to the boss. "Of an office, a project, an entire organization?" I asked. "Yes!" was their collective answer. In other words, their dreams are clearly focused on being the number one person is some aspect of their professional lives. I completely understand that. In my career, my level of supervisory authority has ranged from being able to decide when I could have lunch to directing dozens of people. Each had their own set of challenges. Still, I enjoyed it.

Communication is a vital aspect of any supervisory job. If one does not do that very well, then their ability to motivate others to work their hardest in all likelihood will be compromised. With the possible exception of the military, one would be hard-pressed to find supervisors who did little else with their employees than boss them around. That style of management, generally, is rarely practiced. Instead, supervisors need to connect more with their workers and demonstrate sincere interest In the welfare of those who report to them. This is not necessarily a bad thing. However, it does require any perspective boss to be effective at sending and receiving messages.

No comments: