Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Drunken Chickens

The other day I came across a posting on Facebook of a chicken drinking beer from a cup. The edited clip concluded with the chicken staggering around, falling down and then staggering some more. No doubt the person who gave the chicken this alcohol thought it would lead to amusing results. Harmless, too. After all, it's only a chicken. Right? Granted, the world did not spin off it's axis because of what this person did. And I have to assume the chicken returned to normal to contine doing what chickens do. But one question out of this is: What did the person return to doing? What other pranks did he or she have up their sleeve?

Pranks are tricky things. They include elements of deception and even cruelty that, if successful, result in someone being surprised, made to look less than their best, and/or amusement at their unwanted predicament. Can you tell I am not a fan of pranks? I equate them with purposeful dishonesty carried out for the benefit of only a few at best. Does this make me a fuddy-duddy?Perhaps. But if one views any or all acts as a form of communication, then it also places me on the side of honesty. Pranks, at best, are similar to harmless white lies. At their worst, they are premeditated acts of meanness.

All of us are subject to far too many acts of dishonesty these days as it is. Why fan the flame by concocting plans designed to deceive? Is it our nature? As a species, do we really not have enough to do? While I am the first to admit that in my life not all of my actions have always been on the up-and-up, it remains essential that for myself and the rest of us to evolve in all ways that are good, then honesty must serve as our North Star. That means: stop serving beer to chickens! It also means our actions are not just about us. They affect others, too. Acts of communication have a ripple affect that should not be ignored.

No comments: