Friday, May 20, 2016

Unseeded

Ah, facts, we hardly knew he. I understand you are not dead. Perhaps, it would be better if you were. After all, sitting in the number one position as the top argument solver for so long, to now find yourself no longer in the top seat has got to hurt. Wearing the crown for all those years had to feel good. Who could blame you for feeling as if that crown was a permanent part of you? Not me, that's for sure. But now here you are: off your perch. Crownless. This can't be easy to accept. It has to be difficult to find yourself without that sense of indisputability that we all came to know and embrace without question.

You are now standing somewhere off to the side looking at your replacement: opinion. Time was opinion, at best, was met with the roll of an eye. It was looked upon as the misbehaving child that everyone had but knew it would never achieve the aurora of being beyond challenge you carried with you. Yes, everyone still has an opinion. Yet somehow opinion has been given the mantel of being, dare I say it, "good enough." I sure wish I knew, facts, when it was when you lost your importance. Where was I? Where were any of us? When did you stop being all that vital and how did we let that happen?

I agree with you. I don't see this turn of events as being fair or even a good thing. Sure, I like opinions. Heck, I have plenty of them myself. They are so easy to express and never a burden to carry around. Maybe that's it, facts. Perhaps we decided facts are too hard to collect. Perhaps, facts, you have become too much trouble. Too much work. Even you have to admit opinions, especially when stated in a loud voice, can sound convincing. And when someone surrounds him or herself with others who share the same opinion, then step aside, facts. Your reign is over. But I confess to missing you. You did make communicating so much better.


No comments: