Monday, May 30, 2016

"Uh-o" to "Ah-ha"

In many ways, our lives can be divided into two main phases. The first is when we do something that represents a kind of learning experience. The second is when we actually do learn from that experience. For instance: placing our hand on a hot oven would be an "uh-o" moment. Realizing the consequences of such an action represents the "ah-ha" moment. Perhaps the best kind of "ah-ha" moment is when we resolve ourselves never to make that mistake again. The two phases suggest all of us are constantly in learning phases. On the one hand, I believe that is true. On the other, that is not a guarantee as often many of us do not learn from our past actions. I, for one, still find myself repeating similar mistakes from time to time.

The challenge for us is to increase the amount of time we actually do learn from past actions and then stop repeating previous missteps. In my case, I could always do a better job of listening to what others say rather than putting more emphasis on what points I want to make. I realize the downside of not listening as well as I should but have not always done a good job of changing my behavior so I actually do focus on what is being shared. (In fairness to me, however, I do believe I am getting better at this.)

Professional communicators can play a role in increasing the number of effective "ah-ha" moments in our lives. They can do this by helping educate folks more on the consequence of certain behavior. In the current political campaigning going on, as we all know far too well, there is much what I refer to as "talking  at"going on and not nearly all that much "talking with." This unfortunate reality is indicative of the great divisions already existing in our country, as defined in numerous national polls by the Pew Research Foundation. Rather than focusing mainly on the different perspectives, professional communicators in our many communication industries could and should be drawing attention to the negative consequences of such division.

No comments: