Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Fascinating People

We all know or at least know of people who we find to be fascinating. They captivate us; dominate our attention. These special folks are, in a word, alluring. The question, then, is what separates the men and women that we find fascinating from the ones we do not? How are they different? For instance, I am sure it is safe to assume that most, if not all, people who know me do not find me to be all that fascinating. (This, in all fairness, is not to say they do not find me likeable or nice. My guess is they do.) But why don't or wouldn't I fall under their list of fascinating people? I confess that would be very pleasing. Who among us would not enjoy having others find us fascinating?   

My guess is what separates those who we consider to be fascinating from those we do not revolves around how they communicate. In this context, I am talking about an ongoing degree of fascination as opposed to be a strong level of curiosity that lasts only a few moments or is situational. For instance, if Sasquatch walked into the room right now I am sure I would find him to be fascinating. But seeing him day in and day out would, I suspect, become tiresome after awhile. After all, what would we have to talk about? It is not as if we have all that much in common.

Fascination revolves around communication. Specifically, it turns on the way a person speaks, words they use, phrases they string together. What they say illustrates how their mind works. That, more than any physical attributes or abnormalities they might possess, is ultimately what holds our attention. How exactly they articulate their thoughts or reveal their thinking kindles the fire of fascinating within others. So, to those of us wishing to be a source of fascination to others, then we need to raise the bar on how well we communicate. Doing that calls into play the many characteristics that help define good or effective communication: listening well, knowing one's audience, and being thoughtful. Alas, being fascinating requires as much effort as most anything else.  

No comments: