Saturday, August 5, 2017

Lone Wolves

I admit that the thought of being a long wolf is very appealing. Being my "own man" where I roam the world, doing whatever I want to do, going wherever I want, and moving at my own pace has a romantic flare that is hard to match. Movies, of course, perpetuate that fantasy all the time. Certainly in me and, no doubt, countless others that theme has ongoing appeal. Interestingly, that lone wolf portrait is the opposite of reality. The fact is not only do we all need others, but we actually desire interaction. When it comes to people, a day without contact or some sort of feedback from others is definitely a day without sunshine.

No where is this better or firmly exhibited than when it comes to communication. The whole point of communicating is to elicit some sort of validation and/or acknowledgement from others. Feedback, after all, confirms our existence. It also supports our fundamental desire to count; make a difference; have impact. We speak and we look for those around us to respond. Whatever their response might be, it gives us the information we seek to determine if we what we are saying or doing accurately reflects what we want. Without some sort of response, then being validated as a person is nearly impossible to achieve - at least to the level of satisfaction most of us seek.      

In my own mind, being a lone wolf is great so long as I am able to touch base with others on a regular basis. My daughter lives in Brooklyn and several times per year I visit her. I enjoy driving as it gives me a chance to have some "me time." However, unless I am to sprinkle that time to myself with periodic phone calls to others via blue tooth, then it is not nearly as enjoyable or, for that matter, meaningful. Lone wolf indeed. The better my conversations with others during that time are, the better I am able to enjoy my time alone. Ironically, communication, then, helps me believe I am being a lone wolf. Funny how that works.     

No comments: