Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Maintaining the Bond

Whenever I experience an example of positive customer in-action, there is part of me that feels as if I just stumbled across a unicorn. It is always a pleasure to see a person of authority provide some level of assistance to another who either happens to be in-need or who feels they have been wronged. The actions of that person in authority represent a particular level of communication that speaks to genuine two-way interaction. The person in-need is upset and is taking their story to another for help. The person on the receiving end of the complaint provides the sender with their full attention and then initiates action to try and right the wrong.

Such an incident happened to me recently. Without going into too much unnecessary detail, it involved two movie tickets that had been issued for an incorrect date. Popcorn and soda had already been purchased when the incorrect date was discovered. Upon being made aware of the situation, the theater manager apologized for the error, reimbursed me for both the incorrect tickets and refreshments, and then allowed me to keep the refreshments I had already purchased. Plus, she did it all with a smile. I walked away feeling good about the experience and no longer miffed at the inconvenience.

I acknowledge that part of the reason I felt good about this episode is that I largely came out of it with everything I wanted. But more than that, my positive feelings were based on the attitude and actions of that manager. She made me feel as if I had been heard and that my feelings were important. She did that with the wisdom that regardless of how her exchange with me was going to go, the most important element was maintaining the connection between me as a customer and the business that she represented. She was pitch-perfect. She recognized the present and future bond was at-stake and communicated accordingly.



No comments: