Friday, December 21, 2018

The First Light

Way back in the 1600s, the name of the shore land of what is now Massachusetts was "Dawnland," the place where the sun rose. According to author Charles Mann in his wonderful book, "1491," (2005), the inhabitants of this region were called "the people of the first light." This is because they were believed the first ones to see the sun rise every day. though we now know that is not true, I have to believe the folks back then must have enjoyed that distinction. Who among us would not like being among the first to know what a new day was going to bring? That is good and useful information to have.

A number of years ago in a previous job in higher education, during times of inclement weather, it was my responsibility to contact the media and announce whether our institution was closing that day. I guess you could say I was one of "the people of the first light" during that time. During the years I had that responsibility I admit to enjoying being the one who knew before most everyone else what the instituion's plans were in those times of uncertainty. I was certain when others were uncertain. I was secure when others were insecure.

This reality drove home several lessons to me: Being in such a position carries with it a great weight of responsibility; and Being in such a position should not be taken lightly. When the time came for me to communicate what I knew to our public, it was essential that I get it right. Far too many people and families were planning their days around the information I was communicating. Plus, the fact I knew what was going on and few others did, did not make me smarter or better. Thus, those who did not know what I did needed to be treated with respect and given the information in a timely and understandable manner. Anything less than that would be a gross disservice to them and the information itself. All communicators who belong to the "first light" should never forget that.

No comments: