Thursday, March 5, 2009

Communication and Technology

When it comes to technology, there are so many things in the world I do not understand. More and more, it seems, with each passing day. With a cyber highway filled with such things as facebook, My Space, twittering - twittering? - texting, and blogging, to name a few, I tip my hat to those who are able to navigate their way through and around these communication channels. For me, I feel grateful I am able to email others without falling over myself more than I do. It is almost as exciting as when I learned how to use a telephone. (Well, almost.)

But with all these new and still-evolving technological progressions, the fundamental question is: Are people now communicating more effectively than ever before? Thanks to them, have we eliminated or at least reduced that old bugga boo "the misunderstanding?" Are people now more in sync than ever before because they are able to IM each other or give "real time" accounts of something they are witnessing or experiencing? Has facebook led us to the communication promised land? My optimistic response to these questions is that I am not sure. My instinct, however, says they have not. Despite my own ineptness, believe or not, I applaud these technological advancements and embrace others that will follow. But even more than that, I cheer any actions or tools that actually help two people or various publics connect; help them lay down one building block after another toward greater harmony and mutual adjustment.

While the various communication technologies certainly enable us to send out messages a lot faster than ever before, the reality is none of us should be lulled into the false perspective that they replace active dialog where the parties make efforts to know their audience, speak to the needs and wishes of each other, engage in listening, and help ensure that consensus of some sort has been reached. I question whether the technologies of today are helping any of us in respectful engagement. These electronic tools are not to be confused with the lottery where a winning ticket can make us instant millionaires. Effective communication is labor intensive. Technology, at least at present, is not a substitute. To think otherwise is a mistake.

No comments: